CASA VOLUNTEER QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This program demands a high degree of commitment from its volunteers.
We welcome volunteers from all cultures, professions, and socio-economic, ethnic and educational backgrounds. We have a particular need for men and people of various racial and ethnic backgrounds.
- Have a genuine interest in advocating for children, their rights and needs.
- Have time to perform CASA duties, and a schedule which is flexible enough to allow for the completion of mandatory duties.
- Able to initially commit to a one (1) year involvement in the program as a CASA volunteer, but ideally, to commit to volunteering with the program until the assigned case is terminated by the Court.
- Ability to interact with people involved in the child welfare system - child, family, professionals.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Mature adult.
- Complete a CASA Program Application and return the form to the CASA office in their district.
- Provide names, addresses, of THREE personal references, non-relative in nature.
- Authorize a release of information for the CASA Program to conduct a criminal history check of applicant's background, including DCI, FBI, Motor Vehicles Division, Child Abuse Registry and Sexual Offenders Registry.
- Undergo at least one (1) personal interview with the Local CASA Coordinator.
- Satisfactorily complete the mandatory CASA Pre-Service Training Course, consisting of 30 hours of course time.